Friday, August 5, 2011

Vintage Kitchen Utensils....

I did a project in my old apartment that I have been wanting to incorporate into my new home, but I just don't know where yet.  Until I figure out where to do it, I thought I would share some pictures with you from my apartment a few months ago.

I had a big blank wall at the end of my kitchen that was begging me to put something there.  I had thought about getting a hanging rack for my pots & pans, but I had vivid images of it falling off the wall from the weight and leaving big gaping holes in the sheet rock.  Not a pleasant thought while you lay awake in bed in the middle of the night. 

Then on a Thanksgiving trip to Hallowell, Maine, I was able to check out some really great antique stores that had amazing items for really reasonable prices.  The items they were selling would sell for 4x more in the DC area.  *I was in vintage heaven* 

Some of the things I found were vintage kitchen utensils.  They showed signs of their age and maybe not something you'd necessarily want to use on your food.  But then I thought of that big blank lonely kitchen wall, and I knew immediately what I was going to do with them. 

Now, step back a minute and put on your "imagination glasses."  I want you to imagine these next few pictures as if they were taken by someone who actually knows how to take good pictures.  Then imagine how awesome this wall display looks in real life (because honestly, it really did look awesome).  OK, ready?  GO!




There is an old cheese slicer with a wooden dowel and great curves.  There is also this fantastic wooden handle potato smasher.  I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but the wires of the potato smasher are wrapped around each other in such great detail!


(stupid camera flash)







There is a spatula with the coolest bent handle and really awesome patina.  There is also a hand mixer with a red wooden handle and a wooden knob for the turning-mixer-part (and yes, that is the official patented term of that particular part.  Look it up.)



There is this little grater that has a pretty little design in the grates that matched the gray frame perfectly.  I also included my grandmother's copper measuring spoons because I love the color and the contrast it brings to the other items, and because I like the idea of having a bit of her in the kitchen with me.  She was a great cook :)

(there is the flash again!  I think it is stalking me....)

I very much liked this project and can't wait to re-create it in my new home.  It was so much fun holding the utensils up to the wall, trying to figure out which should go with what frame, or what angle would suit them best.  The different angles and dimensions gave that well so much texture! 

And I loved the reactions of people who visited my apartment - they were always drawn to the wall immediately and had to take an up-close look at everything. 



This was shared with:
 
Common Ground's Vintage Inspired Friday
Passionately Artistic's Linking Party
Southern Hospitality's August Thrifty Treasures
My Romantic Home's Show and Tell Friday
Saved By Love Creation's Thrifty Thursday Blog Hop

3 comments:

  1. Very cute idea! I love that you threw in something of your grannies. I love old kitchen utinsels. You can only imagine the kitchen chores they have seen in their days. Visiting from Common Grounds. I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have endless old utensils that are so cute and there they sit in a dusty old crock. Your idea is fantastic to frame them. Love it and thank you so much for the inspiration.
    I am a new follower... you are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good information on this post. Also, it is really nice to listen all your words. Thanks for sharing this.
    Kitchen Equipment

    ReplyDelete