Monday, July 25, 2011

Let there be light!!

One thing that has been bugging me about some of the rooms in my house is the lighting.  All of the lighting was new and put in by the previous owner during the massive renovation.  For that, I give him props.  Its not his fault that he has terrible taste in lighting!!!

There is quite a bit of brass in this house, and I am not a fan of brass.  As far as lighting, there are brass lights in 4 of the bedrooms and in one hallway.

How many lawyers does it take to hang a light fixture?  Apparently more than one - I chickened out at the thought of death by electrocution.  So this isn't a true DIY, its a DIYWALHFLP (Do It Yourself With A Little Help From a Licensed Professional).

Here is the before of the light that is in the bedrooms :


 I replaced this fixture in the guest bedroom with this amazingly cheap Craigslist find:



I really like how simple this chandelier is.  I think that sometimes chandeliers can be overwhelming in smaller rooms, but this chandelier gives it just the right amount of sparkle without blinding you to everything else in the room.  I love the shadows it throws around the room.  Also, I'd like to introduce you to my freakishly furry child dog, Brody.  This is his, "Oh no, she is blogging again" face. 


And here is the light I put in my "reading room" : 












I got this chandelier at IKEA for a little over $40.  It gives off a really soft light, and adds just enough chic to make this reading room feel extra cozy and relaxing.

And that, my lovely readers, are some of the newest additions to my house!  Tell me in the comments what kind of bling you have added to your house!



Shared this on Southern Hospitality's Summer Treasures Party

5 comments:

  1. I just started following you - great stuff =]
    Please check me out also at http://vanessaduranajunkjunkie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and good spot from Ikea :)

    Thanks for sharing!
    Visiting from My Romantic Home Linky Party today,
    ~Suzanne in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! That Craigslist chandelier was a real find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great find! I wonder how I can talk my hubby into installin a chandy... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No bling, but I have been buying some vintage postcards and then framing them with frames from eBay (2) and from Signed & Numbered (10)at Etsy.
    I've thinking about a chandelier in the dining area, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete