Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Honey Hole

Today I ventured over to Community Forklift, an architectural salvation warehouse in Hyattsville, MD.   In the words of Mike and Frank from American Pickers - it was a honey hole! 

There were rows upon rows of dusty treasures that were donated from leftovers from building sites, materials from houses that were torn down, etc.  We had to roll up our sleeves, get dirty, and donate a few quarts of sweat, but the pay off was well worth it.

Here are a few pictures of the awesome things at Community Forklift:


There was a huge rack of old heating/AC registers.  These gems were so ornate, they would have been great as replacements for the newer, generic white registers or as an artistic piece hung on a wall. 

 I am honestly not sure what this was, but the patina on this white contraption gave it a really cool look.  This picture isn't doing it justice. 

 


This iron fence was GORGEOUS! 


 There were quite a few of these decorative brackets laying around.  The scroll work on these were beautiful! I wish I could have taken them all home with me!




 Not to mention these beautiful antique kitchen appliances.  *DROOL*


There were different sizes and styles of interior and exterior columns that had gorgeous details and perfect aged patina ....


... and all different types and sizes of fireplace mantels with mirrors, chippy paint, and detailed wood work.  I considered turning one into a headboard - but getting it home would have been a challenge.  


Here are just a few of the treasures I bought home with me:

Glass door knobs, decorative square door molding, and a beautifully detailed door hinge.
A chippy old vintage window.

A chippy old 5 1/2 foot blue shutter with paint from decades past showing underneath.

I also got a really cool old side table that I am going to paint with chalk paint.  I will post pictures in the near future of how I incorporated these into mi casa! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment