Sunday, January 1, 2012

Chalk Board Paint Presents

This Christmas I tried to get creative and make a few Christmas presents using chalk board paint.




The first thing I made was chalk board paint wine glasses.  I thought this was a good idea because at get-togethers people are always misplacing their wine glass, mixing them up with another glass, etc.  If you paint the base of the glass in chalk board paint, people can write their names on their glass with chalk!

Unfortunately, one of the wine glasses broke as I was packing them, and I ended up not giving them as a present.  I can't give a set of 7 wine glasses!  Either way, here is how I made them:



I poured the chalk board paint into an old tupperware container that I didn't mind throwing out when I was done.  Then I dipped the base of the wine glasses into the paint, and twirled it around as the paint dripped off.  This gave the base an even, paintbrush stroke-free look. 


Then I just placed the wine glasses on parchment paper to dry.  Every half hour or so I would move them around, just to make sure they didn't stick.  It was so easy!


I also made a chalk board paint frame.  I did this by applying two coats of the chalk board paint to the glass with a small roller.



This is very similar to the chalk board menu I have in my kitchen.



I found an antique silver tray at an antique store in Maine for a great bargain.  I applied two coats of chalk board paint to the center using a small roller, and I used a brush to give it a smooth edge.    After applying some silver polish, it turned out great!  (These pictures are before the silver polish - sorry!)




I love the tray so much that it was actually hard to part with.  I am going to have to keep an eye out for more trays, and make a few for myself!  I can imagine it on my mantle saying "welcome" or resting on my corner cabinet saying "Let it Snow." 


:-D

No comments:

Post a Comment