Friday, January 27, 2012

A few of my favorite things

There is nothing like vintage treasures that you just love surrounding yourself with, that bring a smile to your face, or makes you recall a special memory of someone who meant the world to you.


Here are a few more of my favorite things:









I got these vintage binoculars in an antique store in Maine.  They have a gold, green, black patina and still work.  I like to keep them on my bookshelf and use them to look at the birds outside my window.



This shoe form was a purchase from a Barn Sale near Frederick, MD.  The size 8 intrigues me.  It has been well used, and it makes my imagination run wild with silly questions, such as who was the person who used this form to keep their shoes in form?  What kind of shoes did the person wear?  Leather?  Boots?  A heel?  Where is the partner to this shoe form? 


These pieces have significant sentimental value to me.  My grandmother gave them to me before she passed.  The first is a wood carving of a young girl looking up and off in the distance.  She is wearing a turtle neck and overalls and sneakers.  My grandmother told me that she got it because it reminded her of my mother on her first day of school.  The second is a small carved duck.   She got it when she was on vacation in either Georgia or Florida.  There was a blind native american boy carving them on the side of the road, and she just had to buy it.


This is also sentimental.  When I began to show an interest in sowing, my grandmother gave me some of my great grandmother's sowing treasures, including this thimble.  It has turquoise stones in it.



This patina-ed scale sits on my corner cabinet.


This cloche was a house warming present from an aunt.  Inside is a small bird's nest. 


This teacup and saucer were at an estate sale, and the daintiness of it was so appealing to me.  I put a dried white rose in the teacup.


I needed a narrow end table for the space next to my guest bed.  I found this ladder at the DC Big Flea.  The front two steps actually fold out and make perfect shelf space.  I was going to paint it blue to match some of the other colors in the room, but I think I have really taken a liking to the green.  There are so many layers of paint on this thing, and you can see red, yellow, blue, and white shining through.  I love it. 


And those are a few more of my favorite things :)

1 comment:

  1. Just desire to say your article is as amazing. The clarity in your post is
    just excellent and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.


    .Net Website Development

    ReplyDelete