Friday, September 2, 2011

Today's Inspiration: Barn Doors

I absolutely love the idea of having a barn door ... inside a house.  There is something so rustic, natural, and industrial about a barn door inside a house.  I love pictures on Pinterest I have seen where they mount the barn door on a huge rail and it slides back and forth across an interior entryway.  Here are some of my favorites that I have found:

























Below is my very rudimentary 5th grade scribble of what I would do with a barn door in my house.  (This is what I do when the utility company puts me on hold for half an hour!!)  When you first walk into my house you walk into a room that at some point I am sure that people with very small furniture used as a dining room/ living room.  Currently I just use it as just a dining room, although I am planning on getting some formal sitting chairs for the left side.

I digress.  In that room is two entrances.  The entrance to the right goes to the kitchen.  The entrance to the left goes to a hallway with three doors, and the steps that go upstairs.  Between these two entrances I currently have my  faux fireplace.  However, I would love to instead put a barn door here, with a rail that goes across BOTH entrances, so I could close off either entrance or just sit the door the middle of the two (as in the scribble sketch) as an interesting architectural piece.

No, this was not drawn by a drunk five year old.

1 comment:

  1. I like your idea.....and your drawing is better than anything I could ever dream of doing...

    ReplyDelete