Monday, September 19, 2011

Chalkboard Paint is Freaking Awesome

I have wanted to try out Chalkboard paint for a while.  When I imagined the house I was going to buy, I secretly hoped that it would have the perfect wall to do floor to ceiling chalkboard paint, but alas the home I purchased didn't have a wall that would allow that.

I recently purchased two very cheap clay pots from Ikea (the total of both was less than $5 - I don't even want to imagine what they must pay their employees to be able to afford to sell their products for so cheap.  I digress...).



I used Rust-Oleum Chalkboard paint.


I used a small sponge rolling brush to apply the paint.  I also made sure to paint the top part of the inside, in case you can see inside the pot.  I only needed one coat!


After letting them dry for three days, I dusted them with chalk to let it set and then I planted some mums in them.  I put them on my front porch and wrote "Welcome" on one and "Lenny + Suzy" on the other for my aunt Suzy and her friend Lenny who came down to DC for a visit.  

I have so many ideas of what I can do with these - such as "No." and my house number, like below.  I can also do "Trick" and "Treat", or "Merry" and "Christmas."  The possibilities are endless! 



I had so much fun with this that I started looking around the house for other things I can use chalkboard paint on.  One of the things I spotted was this jar that I use for dog treats.

Here is the before:


 And here is the "after":



It says "Treats For Good Dogs"  :-D


And of course, I can't talk about chalkboard paint without posting a picture of my Ms. Mustard Seed chalkboard!!!  I love this!!  I use it as a menu board in my kitchen. 



I can't wait to find more things to use chalkboard paint on!  (Family and friends be warned - chalkboard paint projects MIGHT turn into Christmas presents!)

(PS - I KNEW IT!  Ikea isn't all smiles and sunshine after all!)



I shared this with: 


Passionately Artistic's Linking Party
Saved By Loves Creations' Thrifty Thursday
The Shabby Creek Cottage's Transformation Thursday

1 comment:

  1. How cool is that!!! I am afraid to start with the chalkboard paint. . . it would probably take over my house! :) So glad to have found this cute blog over on Saved by Love Creations blog hop. I am now following you blog.
    I would love to have you stop by my blog!
    -Robyn from http://tipsfromtheheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete